Complete Guide: When You Inherit a House in Florida

Have you recently inherited property in Florida and you don’t know what to do? When you inherit a house in Florida you need to know the basics about 1) how you inherited the home; and 2) how to manage all of the issues associated with an inherited property.

How did you inherit the house in Florida?

There are three ways to inherit a house in Florida: 1) by deed, 2) by will, and 3) by trust. The way you inherit the property will dictate the next steps that you take.

Inherit a House by Deed

You inherit a house by deed when someone dies and they reserved a life estate and you are the “remainderman” or you jointly own the house with your parent or family member (this article isn’t meant for married couples because basically nothing changes). If you inherit a house by deed, the follow-up does not involve Florida probate proceedings and may typically involve the recording of an affidavit or death certificate in the public records. For title issues, a sale is easy if you decide to sell the property.

Inherit a House by Will

You inherit a house by Florida will if the person dies with his or her sole name as the owner on the deed. In order to sell the house that you inherit by will, you need to go through the Florida probate court. In many cases, the house cannot be sold until 4-6 months after you file for probate because you have to wait to clear the legal title to the home of the probate proceeding.

Inherit a House by Trust

You inherit a house by trust if the trust agreement states that you, or you with others, are entitled to the house. In cases involving a person died leaving a spouse or minor children, you will still need Florida probate to clear title because of the Florida homestead rules. Be careful when estate planning with the homestead. If the person that died did not have a spouse or minor children (one child under 18 years old), then the process to clear title for a real estate sale should be fairly easy.

What you need to know when you inherit a house that needs Florida probate

Florida probate can be fast, or really slow.  Let’s start with the fast probate.  If you probate an estate and the person has been deceased for more than 2 years, then the probate can go pretty fast.  As a matter of fact, probate can take less than a week if you have all your family in order and you have a good probate attorney.  If, on the other hand, someone recently died and you want to sell the property, then you may have to go through the slower probate.  Probate is slow because you have to publish notice to creditors in the newspaper and wait at least 4 months before you can sell the property. Probate allows creditors to dispute homestead status or allows them to collect on real estate that is not homestead.  The creditor issue is the reason why probate takes so long. You have to wait during the publishing period because unknown creditors need to get the chance to file a claim to get paid. After the waiting period, then you are free to sell. Probate is needed because the property ownership records (title) needs to connect. If you inherit a property, that means that the last owner in the property records died. Because the last owner died, that person cannot sign a deed over to you. Instead, you need the probate judge to enter an order that declares you as the new owner. In the case of homestead property, you can only sell the property after the probate judge enters the “order determining homestead status of real property.”

What to do when you inherit a house in Florida with a mortgage

The key thing to know about inheriting a house with a mortgage is: if the mortgage isn’t paid, the house gets foreclosed. Mortgage companies will accept payment from you if you are paying the deceased person’s mortgage. The processors just see the check and the mortgage number. If you tell the mortgage company that your family member died, then you will deal with that specific mortgage company’s procedures and guidelines when someone dies. Under federal law called the Garn St. Germain Act, the mortgage company cannot call in the entire mortgage if your parent died and you inherit your parent’s primary residence. You may run into some problems if you inherit commercial property, but that is a whole other topic of discussion. Ultimately, and of particular interest to you, the mortgage company cannot go after your personal bank account under Florida law if you decide to walk away from the inherited property with a mortgage. The inherited house will be foreclosed and you will likely be named as a defendant in the foreclosure suit in order for the bank to clear your name from the title of the property. It would be a safe move to hire a probate attorney to get an order abandoning homestead real property if you chose to walk away from an inherited property with a mortgage.

Management of property when multiple people inherit a house in Florida

If you inherit property with more than one person, things can be tricky.  Under Florida law, co-owners are equally responsible for debts, liabilities, and income.  Rent, property taxes, property insurance, property management fees, maintenance expenses and so forth, will need to be split equally among the co-owners.  Of course, it is logical to deduct expenses from all rent before net rent proceeds are ultimately paid out.  This situation can be an administrative nightmare.  Typically one child will do all the work while the others sit back. If the “property manager” child does this, he or she should be paid in order to prevent resentment and fighting. It is work.  Alternatively, you can hire a property manager like ERA Heavener Realty to help.  Once a house with multiple owners is sold, the proceeds should be split equally among beneficiaries according to the deed, will or trust document.  Do be warned.  If a sibling moves into a house that his or her other siblings co-own, there can be big problems if expenses are not paid by the sibling living in the house.  It happens.  Don’t let deadbeat siblings live in an inherited house.  Also, problems can arise down the road if that live-in-child wants to keep the house and the other children want to sell the house.

What are the tax implications of inherited property in Florida

First, the property taxes will go up if you inherited the person’s homestead and you have your own homestead.  If your parent owned the house for a very long time, then the property taxes will go up a lot.  Second, the income taxes from the sale of the house will not be too bad.  There is an income tax concept called “step up in basis,” which means that instead of inheriting the house at your parent’s basis (the amount they paid for the real estate plus capital improvements), you inherit the home at the value of the property on the date of your parent’s death.  This is good especially if you already own a house because, for non personal residences, you have to pay income tax on the positive gain between the basis and the sale price.

To illustrate:

(1) Gifting is bad because no stepped up basis: Mom buys the house in 1980 for $10,000.  In 2012, Mom deeds the house worth $110,000 BEFORE she dies.  You sell the house after she dies. You have to pay taxes on the $100,000 gain.

(2) Inheriting at death is good because of stepped up basis: Mom buys the house in 1980 for $10,000.  Mom dies in 2012 when the house was worth $100,000 and you inherit the house.  You sell the house you inherit 6 months later at $110,000.  You have to pay taxes on the $10,000 gain.  Not only is it important to realize not to gift property before you die.  You now know that you won’t face a big income tax hit when you inherit a home.

Putting it all together…

If you inherit a home you have to make a decision: (1) sell the house; (2) rent the house; (3) deal with co-owner family members living in the house; or (4) let the mortgage company foreclose after you walk away. Delay on this decision will ultimately cost you money because title issues can delay the sale of the house or management issues can cause fights and headaches.

Kellen Bryant is a Jacksonville, Florida Probate Attorney that also focuses his practice on Florida elder care law. Kellen has written a 46 page book for elderly veterans called, Long Term Care Guide for Veterans and their Families, and his book is available free at his website. The contents of this article does not form an attorney-client relationship, you are best advised to seek legal counsel specific to your situation.

  • boston Attorney

    Howdy! Do you know if they make any plugins to
    assist with SEO? I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not
    seeing very good success. If you know of any please share.

    Thank you!

  • Kimberly

    What if there is more than one that inherit land that no one wants.

  • Diana


    A friend left me his house in a will. He past away on July 2012. Today I met with the lawyer’s assistant and she says that I am responsible for the full year property taxes. She says that I am the owner from the moment the day of his passing.The title has not been transferred to me just yet. Shouldn’t property taxes be prorated?. Can you please help.

  • Denisse

    Hi Jeff! I read your website and it is very informative. I just have a question. My friend is buying a property and leaving it to me in his will. My question is I will be making the payments because we will live there with my friend. In the case that he passes away before home is paid off can I put title in my name or this need to be after I payoff the house.? We are wondering.

    • Jeff

      Hey Denisse! You might want to contact Kellen (he’s the attorney) with your question. A link to his site is at the bottom of the article. If everything is as you say, then yes, the house will pass from him to you. And the house will be in your name…

  • Barry Alsobrook

    What remedies do I have regarding property inherited by three siblings? There are two parcels, one with a house, one vacant. My sister lives in the house, and along with my brother have kept me from enjoying my share of the inheritance. I want to do a minor re plat of the vacant parcel, (which would roughly equal one-third of the whole) and sell it. Do they have to give permission for me to do this? Could I get a court order forcing them to agree to it? They won’t buy me out, and I am stuck. Help.

    • Jeff

      Hey Barry – Is this property in Jax? This would get pretty in depth, so feel free to give me a call… Number at the top right.


  • Neil

    My estranged father died without a will in Florida. An attorney representing his widow keeps sending me Renunciation forms with the reasoning that I will be responsible for the mortgage unless I give up the inheritance and let someone else buy it. Can I ignore this because I dont believe the attorney and am really not interested in receiving this inheritance?

    • Jeff

      My advice would be to check with an attorney – and I’m just a real estate agent :)

      Give Kellen a shout over at

  • Bob

    My wife recently found out that her estranged father passed away. She is the only surviving child and he was divorced but never remarried. She is in the process of getting appointed personal representative. We know there is a house and that the mortgage is paid in full but there are outstanding taxes due. Once she becomes appointed personal representative, how can we assertain the condition of the property without traveling to Florida? Is there someone we could hire acting on our behalf? We have no idea what condition it is in and because we are out of state, don’t want to walk into a situation where they could be squatters or something. County records show the house was boarded up at some point.

    • Jeff

      Hey Bob,

      Feel free to give me a call when you have a chance.



    I have a question regarding a home in Tampa area, in which the father, a retired disabled vet, past away, leaving a home that three adult children inherited, the eldest of which is primary agent of estate. This home, purchased approx. 8 yrs ago, has a mortgage amounting to more than value, and they are facing foreclosure. What are their options, and can foreclosure be avoided? Can they renegotiate, modify loan or sell property even? How does Fl. laws apply to this case?[Two of children live in home,at time of death until present]

    • Jeff

      Hello – You’ll want to contact an attorney on that one. Kellen’s info is at the bottom of the post if you’d like to chat with him.

  • Christina

    My mother’s friend passed and he only has a daughter in law. My mother took care of him for the last 5 years. The neighbors said that they were told by his daughter in law if they knew how to reach my mom cause the house was willed to her. The house is just sitting there and there was no contact number left for the daughteriin law so know we are trying to find out how we find out if this is true? My question is what steps do we take to find this out?

    • Jeff

      Hey Christina,

      I’m not sure where to start on that issue…


  • Steve

    My parents moved from fla in July to assisted living in Georgia. Dad passed in September and mom this past week. My brother and are both poas and are in the wills to split their property 50/50. We have no argument between us as to what we are going to do, sell the house and split the money. Do we have to go thru probate if there is will? And if we do, does it really take 4 months? There is not mortgage and no liens as far as we know.


    • Jeff

      That’s a good question.

      As I’m not an attorney, I don’t want to give you my opinion. Feel free to contact Kellen over at

      If it’s in Jax (or close) I’d be happy to help you with the sale. Feel free to call any time (number at the top right of the site).

  • Jenny


    Great article! Do I need a property appraisal NOW (It’s only been a couple months since my mom has passed) to avoid huge capital gains upon selling the house?

    • Jeff

      Hey Jenny,

      Ask your accountant/attorney. But, I don’t believe the appraisal needs to be done right away to establish value. They can do it retroactive to when you officially took possession…

  • dennis

    i still own my parents house,my 2 sisters and 1 brother signed a quick claim deed to some investor/flipper,he did some deal with my brother and at one point one of my sisters to pay back the money he gave for my brother share of the house and some property tax,i never agreed to any deal,when my brother and sister had lived in the house i have never got any rent money,but the guys says he is not renting to them,he just wants the money for the deal he made,which dont make sence to me,what ave’s do i have so i can get something out of my parents house,i know if i could afford a lawyer they would just get all the money any way,by the way this is been going on for 4 year and this is in escambia county/pensacola fl

  • Susan Jones Aaron

    how long do I pay have to pay land taxes in fla before I can get a quit claim father died and no one was paying taxes so I started paying them

  • Laura Mcleod Brasher

    I was willed a house I is n probate now do I keep paying rent?

  • Evelyn Walsh

    I was left a mobile home in a co-op trailer park in Tampa, Florida by my father. It was left to me by way of a Will, only. I do not want it. Can I donate it to the park without having to file a probate? What happens if I just don’t pay the space rent? Does the park foreclose on the trailer and assume it? There is not a mortgage on it and it is in his name only. Do they sue a dead man?